Under cabinet lighting may be one of the most important aspects of kitchen lighting. Not only does it help you see what you are cutting or stirring, it also helps you define the unique style, look and feel of your kitchen space. While overhead lighting is the priority for many homeowners, you should always consider installing under cabinet lighting. By this we are referring to a variety of light fixtures installed on the underside of cabinets. These under cabinet lights are important for workspace lighting, creating a colored mood or as an artistic complement. In this guide, we will discuss various types of under cabinet lighting. We also provide some helpful shopping advice, detailing the important features you should consider when looking for under cabinet lighting. Remember, that under cabinet lighting is not just for the kitchen, you can use it wherever you have installed cabinets, be it in your basement bar, pantry, dining room, office, the list is endless.
Why Install Under Cabinet Lighting
- For additional brightness: Under cabinet lighting can add to the main overhead lighting. It can be especially useful in providing focused lighting on the work area and highlighting the backsplash.
- Removing of Shadows: Even with a bright overhead light, shadows may still form on the work area due to upper wall cabinets. Placing light under the cabinets eliminates these shadows, providing added brightness for your cooking and food prep.
- Layout and Atmosphere: Installing under cabinet lighting will give you a completely difference to the look to your space. Depending on the type of lighting installed, your kitchen or bathroom can attain a warmer, more fashionable or more high-tech feel. So, if you are remodeling, think about adding a splash of style (or color) with under cabinet lighting fixtures.
Colored Under Cabinet Lighting
Different lighting options vary when it comes to light color changing LED lights, brightness, energy saving and life span. To make sure you are getting the right option for your needs, here are the features you need to consider.
You can take a look at our Home Remodeling Ideas in our Blog, which is a collection of different projects.
Power Types of Under Cabinet Lighting
There are two basic power types of under cabinet lighting: hard-wired and battery powered.
- Hard-wiring involves connecting the lights directly to the existing wiring in the house. Power is drawn directly from a power source. Plug in draws power from a power outlet, often a wall socket. We will be added wired under cabinet lights within the next few months.
- Battery Powered Under Cabinet Lights are ideal for smaller areas. Use LED Under Cabinet Lights to highlight decorative objects and in places where other light fixtures would be too bulky or impractical. Battery operated Under Cabinet Lights are a quick and easy way to add additional lighting. Battery powered Under Cabinet Lights are very DIY friendly.
Obviously, battery powered lighting is the simpler and least expensive option that you can even install yourself. For the hard-wire options, the services of a professional electrician may be necessary. So for ease of installation, our recommendation is battery powered lighting.
Under Cabinet Lighting with Dimming Capability
All our lights come with a dimming capability at no extra cost. Dimmers, it gives you much more control over the lighting. One benefit for this is saving energy. When you do not need the bright light, dimming it can save some energy.
Additionally, different people may have varying visual needs. For example, a person with eyesight problems may want low-intensity lightning without the painful glare. Dimmers ensure that everyone can work in the lighting conditions they prefer best. Dimmers also come in handy when you want some mood lighting in your kitchen.